On June 10, 1936, President Franklin D. Roosevelt visited Little Rock as part of a day-long series of appearances in conjunction with the Arkansas Centennial celebration. (The actual statehood dates is June 15.)
His day started in Memphis before he journeyed by train to Hot Springs. After events there that morning and lunch at Couchwood (his longtime friend Harvey Couch was chairman of the Centennial celebration). He then traveled to Rockport and Malvern for appearances before arriving in Little Rock. He made his remarks at the State Fairgrounds in a temporary structure called “Centennial Stadium.”
The street he traveled to get to the fairgrounds had been renamed Roosevelt Road in February 1935 in anticipation that he would visit Little Rock in 1936 as part of the state centennial and would likely use that route. The street was officially named Franklin D. Roosevelt Road. But given the unwieldy street signs that would be required to bear that name, the ordinance was amended to note that the signs would bear the name “Roosevelt Road.”
Following his remarks, which officially kicked off the six month Arkansas Centennial celebration, he retired to Senator Joseph T. Robinson’s house on South Broadway. He dined with the Robinsons in the house before departing with the Senator at 8:45 that evening. The Presidential entourage then journeyed to Texas for the next day.