Charlotte Andrews Stephens was the first African American teacher in the Little Rock School District. Between 1910 and 1912, when an elementary school for African Americans was named after her, she became the first woman to have a public building in Little Rock named after her. For nearly fifty years, Stephens Elementary (which is now in its third building) would be the only LRSD building named after a woman.
Born into slavery, Charlotte Stephens was educated first by her father who ran a private school in what is now Wesley Chapel UMC. At the age of 15, she started teaching at the Union School to finish out the term of a white teacher who had become ill. She taught for 70 years, retiring at age 85 in 1939.
From 1870 to 1873, she attended college at Oberlin College, though not always every semester. (It is possible she was the first African American woman from Arkansas to attend college, but that cannot be verified.) During her career with the LRSD, she taught students in all grades. She was twice principal of Capitol Hill School, and later headed the high school Latin Department. At the time of her retirement, she was librarian of Dunbar High School.
The land on which Stephens Elementary now sits was once owned by Charlotte Stephens. She donated the land and attended the 1950 dedication of the second Stephens Elementary. That building was torn down in 1994 to make way for the current Stephens Elementary. Some of her grandchildren attended the dedication of the new and current Stephens Elementary.