The monthly architectural history program “Sandwiching in History” visits the Thomas M. Clifton House, located at 1423 South Summit Street. The program begins at noon today. A historian with the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program delivers a brief lecture about the church before leading guests on a tour.
Located in the Central High School Neighborhood Historic District, this house was built about 1900 and features elements of the Craftsman and Colonial Revival styles. The first long-term occupant was Thomas M. Clifton, who worked in the Choctaw, Oklahoma & Gulf Railroad shops.
Sandwiching in History is a program of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage. The AHPP is responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other DAH agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission and the Historic Arkansas Museum.