Lucy Dixon was elected to the initial Little Rock Board of Directors in November 1957. She previously had served for six years on the Little Rock School Board.
Mrs. Dixon is the only woman to have served on both the governing boards of the City and the school district. Mrs. Dixon chose not to seek a second term and left the City Board on December 31, 1960.
With her election in 1957, Mrs. Dixon became the first woman to be elected to a City position without her husband having previously held that position.
Her father had a lumber business, in which she worked off and on throughout her lifetime. She served not only as an officer of the business, but had a desk at the office and participated in the daily business. She was also very active in Methodist Woman functions in Little Rock and Arkansas.