Though Joseph Taylor Robinson Memorial Auditorium opened in February 1940, there was still money that needed to be raised to finish the construction and the building’s furnishing. Ten days after the auditorium opening, the City Council approved an ordinance to call a special election on April 2, 1940, for the purposes of approving bonds for three separate projects. One of these was for $30,000 for the completion of the auditorium; the bonds would not require any additional tax levy.
At the same meeting, a letter was read from the Young Men’s Business Association expressing support for the auditorium in the election, which was to be held in conjunction with the annual municipal general election. The Auditorium Commission had previously asked the City Council to consider issuing the bonds to pay for additional equipment for the building. In their request to the aldermen, the members stressed that due to the current bond structure, these new bonds would not necessitate any tax increase.
The campaign for the new bonds used a similar structure and message as the 1937 election to build the auditorium. There were newspaper ads by the steering committee (this time simply called the Citizen’s Committee and led by Omar Throgmorton) and support from civic organizations. One thing very different from the 1937 campaign was the presence of an actual building. On Sunday, March 31, just two days before the election, there was an open house for the public to explore the edifice. From 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., members of various Little Rock Boy Scout troops led 4,000 visitors on tours of the auditorium. Visitors were shown all over the building; one scout calculated that the walking tour equated to two miles. Though most people were from Little Rock, the guest registry indicated visitors from California and Pennsylvania.
On April 2, 1940, Little Rock voters approved the new bonds 1,413 to 423. Every precinct in every ward of the city voted in favor of the new bonds. Shortly after the election, the bonds were issued. The auditorium construction which had first been broached in 1904 was now completed in 1940.