Following the 1944 launch of the USS Little Rock, there were still several months before the ship was ready to officially join the US Navy fleet.
On June 17, 1945, the USS Little Rock was officially commissioned and joined the fleet. While Europe had surrendered by this time, the war in the Pacific continued.
The commissioning took place at the US Naval Yard in Philadelphia. At the start of the ceremony, an invocation was given by the Ship’s Chaplain, Lt. C. L. Dickey. Then Rear Admiral Draemel, the Commandant of the Fourth Naval District gave an address.
The simultaneous raising the ensign, jack and commissioning pennant were accompanied by the National Anthem. This marked the actual moment the ship joined the fleet. Captain W. E. Miller, then ceremonially reported to the Commandant that the ship had been placed into commission. He was then formally placed in command of the USS Little Rock.
The First Watch was set, followed by an introduction of Little Rock Mayor Dan T. Sprick. Captain Miller then made an address, and Chaplain Dickey provided a benediction. The crew of the USS Little Rock was dismissed, followed by “Retreat” on the bugle. The program ended with tea being served to the crew in the respect messes.
Any member of the original crew during the ceremony was issued a card indicating he was a Plank owner. This entitled him to ownership of one of the planks on the weather deck of the ship.