He served as the fourth and final mayor of the Town of Little Rock in 1835. His term was cut short by the transition of Little Rock from town to city status. Once that happened in November 1835, a new election had to be held.
Mayor Fulton was also proprieter of the Tan Yard, a tanning operation in Little Rock. He later served as a judge and was appointed as Surveyor General of Public Lands in Arkansas by President Martin Van Buren in 1838.
Mayor Fulton married Elizabeth Savin in June 1795 in Maryland. She died in November 1829, while they resided in Alabama. Among their children was William Savin Fulton who served as Territorial Governor of Arkansas in 1835 and 1836 and was one of Arkansas’ first US Senators upon statehood in 1836. Mayor Fulton was serving as Mayor at the same time his son was Governor.
Mayor Fulton came to Little Rock in 1833. His daughter Jane Juliet Shall and her four children came to Little Rock as well. The family made the move to be nearer to the future governor. The Fultons and Shalls rented the Hinderliter House (now part of Historic Arkansas Museum) in 1834.
In addition to serving as Mayor, he was president of the Anti-Gambling Society and a Pulaski County Justice of the Peace. From 1836 until 1838, he was County Judge of Pulaski County.
Mayor Fulton died on August 7, 1843 and is buried at Mount Holly Cemetery as are several other members of his family.