For two weekends only, the Arkansas Arts Center Children’s Theatre will bring Homer’s epic poem, The Odyssey, vibrantly alive in a fusion of music, dance, mime, masks and choral effects as part of the theatre’s Studio Show series. Running February 19-28, The Odyssey tells the story of King Odysseus who enduring Poseidon’s wrath, faces witches, sirens and a cyclops as he wends his way—literally through Hell and high water—to his home and the long-suffering love of his Queen Penelope.
The Odyssey will run February 19-28; Fridays at 7 p.m., Saturdays at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., Sundays at 2 p.m.
John Isner directed The Odyssey. It was adapted for the stage by Keith Smith who also designed the set. Costumes are designed by Erin Larkin, lighting design by Mike Stacks, properties design by Miranda Young, music composed by Lori Isner, choreography by Erin Fowler and Nicole Jovanovic is the stage manager.
The cast includes:
- Paige Carpenter of Lonsdale as Penelope;
- Aleigha Morton of Beebe as Calliope;
- Margaret Lowry of Little Rock as Erato;
- Samantha L. Harrington of Little Rock as Athena;
- Mark Hansen of Little Rock as Odysseus;
- Nick Spencer of Nashville, TN, as Poseidon;
- Richard Nelson of Little Rock as Elpenor;
- Geoffrey Eggleston of Sioux Falls, SD, as Telemachus and
- Jeremy Matthey of North Little Rock as Eurylochus.
Show times: February 19-28; Fridays at 7 p.m., Saturdays at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., Sundays at 2 p.m.
Ticket prices: $10 General admission, $8 for Arkansas Arts Center members
Best enjoyed by children in third grade and up.
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit ArkansasArtsCenter.org/theatre