On March 8, 1962, 22 members of the Council on Community Affairs filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court against the city Board of Directors for the desegregation of “public parks, recreational facilities, Joseph T. Robinson Auditorium and all other public facilities.” The members included journalists, dentists, attorneys, school teachers and other members of Little Rock’s African American professional class. Attorney Wiley Branton, Sr., filed the suit.
Though the City’s Auditorium Commission was mentioned in the suit, they were not served with papers. So when media contacted them, they made no comment.
Historian John A. Kirk has written, “Members of the City Board were willing to admit that the desegregation of public facilities was ‘a foregone conclusion’ if the case went to court, but they remained committed to fighting the lawsuit if only to buy time to devise other methods to avoid desegregation.”
The decision was rendered in February 1963 that the City must integrate its public facilities.
In 1951, the City’s library facilities had been integrated followed by the bus system in 1956. Both of these had been accomplished without incident. Of course the same was not said for the integration of the public schools in 1957.
In 1961, there had been attempts to have Robinson Auditorium integrated after Duke Ellington threatened to cancel a concert rather than play to a segregated crowd. The Auditorium Commission refused to change its policy, and Ellington did not play the concert.
Based on efforts of the Council of Community Affairs working with white business leaders, downtown lunch counters and businesses were integrated starting in January 1963. The efforts of the Council of Community Affairs and the white business leaders are commemorated in the Arkansas Civil Rights Heritage Trail with medallions in front of the Little Rock Regional Chamber building.