Following the court decision which forbade the City of Little Rock from using public dollars to construct a municipal auditorium, a temporary solution was sought. On August 20, 1906, the City Council approved plans for such a structure.
Now for some context….
After the September 10, 1906, City Council meeting, the mayor told the Gazette that the Board of Public Affairs had leased part of the City’s land at Markham and Arch Streets to A. C. Read to construct the rink and auditorium. The lease also allowed the building to extend out into Arch Street (the 1913 Sanborn Map shows it covering approximately two-thirds of the width of the street). The mayor noted that, “It is stipulated in our lease to Mr. Read that the city shall have the use of the auditorium which he shall erect at any time.”
According to the Democrat, by September the building was already under construction. That paper also noted that “after three years it passes into the hands of the city, when it can be repaired or remodeled to suit convention purposes.” In the story about the new plans, the Democrat also gave the facility a very optimistic seating capacity of 9,000 people.
This announcement by Mayor Lenon should not have been a surprise to close observers of the City Council. On August 13, 1906, A. C. Read, a businessman and real estate developer, petitioned the City for the right to construct a skating rink. The matter was referred to the Street & Fire Committee, the Superintendent of Public Works and Aldermen Louis Volmer and Benjamin S. Thalheimer, who represented the Sixth Ward, in which the structure would be located.
Neither the Gazette nor the Democrat carried a mention of this petition in their coverage of that meeting. By the next Council meeting a week later, the committee had reported back with a recommendation for approval. Resolution 288 was adopted giving Mr. Read the right to build the skating rink. Interestingly, the resolution did not contain the words “skating rink” though the original petition had. Instead it permitted Mr. Read to construct a building “suitable for purposes as defined by the Board of Public Affairs.”
The resolution also stated that within three years the building would become property of the City. The unnamed Gazette reporter at the August 21, 1906, City Council meeting did note in a story the day after the meeting that Mr. Read’s structure would probably be used as an auditorium in three years when the lease was up and the land use reverted back to the City.
Matters often languished in committees of the City Council for weeks; the one week turnaround of Mr. Read’s petition was highly uncommon. It was also rare for the City Council to meet two weeks in a row. The fact that it was reported back so quickly would be an indication that this was no standard petition from a citizen.
Civic observers might also have noted that the resolution contained language that a private citizen had been given permission to construct a building on City-owned property to the specifications of the City’s Board of Public Affairs. Records do not indicate who concocted this scheme, but it is likely that Mayor Lenon was involved. However his papers shed no light on that time in his administration.