Twenty-two years after authorizing the creation of the Museum of Fine Arts in City Park, the Little Rock City Council was asked to consider expanding the facility.
By 1957, the existing structure was felt to be inadequate. There was a desire for more gallery space as well as for more space for educational programming.
On July 8, 1957, the Little Rock City Council passed an ordinance authorizing the Board of the Museum of Fine Arts to be able to raise the funds for an expansion. This was merely the start of the process which would eventually lead to the creation of the Arkansas Arts Center.
The ordinance allowed for the expansion or extension of the building. It also authorized the museum’s board to accept gifts for the project and to invest those gifts for the purpose of the museum. Since the museum only received City funds for maintenance and salary, the ability to raise funds for the expansion was key to the future of the institution.
Lastly, the ordinance gave the museum’s board the ability to increase its membership by up to six positions without having to get additional approval by the City Council. With a fundraising drive underway and a larger facility planned, these additional board members could certainly prove to be key.
The ordinance passed with nine Ayes, zero Noes, and one absent.