At the City Council meeting on December 19, 1929, Bernie Babcock presented the City of Little Rock with a Christmas present — the Museum of Natural History.
After the meeting was convened, Mrs. Babcock was given permission to make remarks to the City. According to Council minutes from that meeting, she stated “she was at this time making a Christmas gift to the City of Little Rock in presenting to it the museum located on the third floor of the City Hall, setting forth, at length, the struggles in making the collections of which the museum is composed, and stressing the value of the museum to the city.”
Upon a motion, the museum was accepted by the City. She then presented letters which formally made the offer to the City and suggested persons for a governing board.
Mrs. Babcock had been trying to get the City to accept the museum for a while. She had been unsuccessful in getting Mayor Pat L. Robinson to agree to it after he took office in April 1929. Ever-determined, she circumvented the mayor and went directly to the City Council. By December 1929, they had grown estranged from Mayor Robinson.
Since December 19, 1929, the museum has been affiliated with the City of Little Rock. During that time, it has had several names and three locations.