On November 11, 1941, Adams Field was dedicated in Little Rock. The ceremony marked the official opening of the airport’s first administration building. It also marked the official naming of the building in memory of George Geyer Adams.
Adams was captain of the 154th Observation Squadron of the Arkansas National Guard. He also served on the Little Rock City Council from 1927 to 1937. During that time he helped develop what would become Little Rock’s airport from an airfield first planned in 1929 for military planes to what would become Little Rock’s municipal airport.
Adams left the City Council in April 1937. Five months later, he was killed in a freak accident when a propeller assembly exploded and sent the propeller careening toward him.
Adams’ family was present at the ceremony on November 11, 1941. The fact that it was on Armistice Day was no accident. Little did few realize that US would be plunged into a second world war just a few weeks later.
Top executives from American Airlines came to Little Rock to participate in the festivities. Others coming to town included members of Arkansas’ congressional delegation. New Mayor Charles Moyer shared credit for the building with former Mayor J. V. Satterfield who had led the project for most of the time. (Satterfield would later be the first chairman of the Airport Commission in 1951.) Hundreds turned out for the ceremony. While they were in town, the congressional delegation and American Airlines executives made the most of interest in them and spoke to various civic clubs and banquets. They extolled the virtues of airflight and the aircraft industry.
On a personal note: the terminal building was built by E. J. Carter, a great uncle of the Culture Vulture.