On June 13, 1873, the first Little Rock High School graduation ceremony took place. Newspaper accounts do not indicate how many were in the class.
The ceremony took place at the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, North, which was located on Main Street in the 400 block. (Part of the Little Rock Technology Park is now on a portion of that site.)
Miss Eva K. Smith, the class Salutatorian was unable to attend and bring opening remarks due to illness. However, several other speeches by students were given including “Earth’s Battlefields” by Mattie A. Chrisman, “Arkansas, Her Past and Future” by Marcus Mentzer, “Turning the Leaves” by Mary W. Smith, and “Water” by Ella Wood. Mr. Mentzer also delivered a valedictory address which was praised by those in attendance, according to newspaper accounts.
School Board President Frederick Kramer also made remarks as did the school’s principal, Mr. Helm, and General A. W. Bishop. Mr. Kramer also passed out the diplomas.
While education opportunities had been offered in Little Rock since the 1820s, these had been with private tutors or private academies. A one room public school was created in the 1850s and governed by the City of Little Rock. No records exist of anyone graduating from that school. In February 1869, the Arkansas General Assembly authorized the creation of school districts in cities as separate entities. Little Rock voters approved the establishment of a Little Rock public school system. Classes began in the autumn of 1869.
The Sherman School was originally built as one of Little Rock’s elementary schools but also contained the first high school classes. In 1885, high school classes moved to 14th and Scott Streets to the Scott Street School. In 1890, they moved to the Peabody School at Capitol and Gaines Streets where they were located until the new Little Rock High School opened in 1905. This building was constructed on the site of the old Scott Street School. Today it is the East Side lofts. It served as Little Rock High School until 1927 when what is now Little Rock Central High School opened.
In the 1860s and 1870s, African American students studied at Capitol Hill and Union schools, which both contained elementary and secondary classes. By the early 1900s, Gibbs High School had opened as a new elementary and secondary school for African American students. It would serve as the City’s African American high school until Dunbar opened in 1929.