The winner of a $60,000 commission to place a sculpture at the Southwest Community Center in 2018 will be announced on Sunday, April 23, 2017, as the 10th Sculpture at the River Market Show and Sale concludes.
The three semifinalists for the 2017 Sculpture at the River Market Public Monument Competition were announced Friday night at the conclusion of the Preview Party for the 2017 Sculpture at the River Market Show and Sale. The three semifinalists are:
- Jack Hill – “On a Roll”
- Ted Schaal – “Dropsy”
- Stephen Shachtman – “A”
Sculpture at the River Market invited all artists participating in the 2017 Show & Sale to submit a proposal for its $60,000 Public Monument Competition. This is the seventh such competition in the ten years of the Show & Sale.
Of the 50 artists in the 2017 Show & Sale, 29 artists submitted a proposal. The proposals of the seven semifinalists were displayed during the event’s Preview Party on the evening of April 21, and Preview Party guests voted for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. All votes were tallied and the top three finalists were announced at the end of the evening.
The top three proposals will be juried on April 22 and 23, and the 2017 winner will be announced at 3PM on Sunday, April 23. The winner will be installed at the Southwest Community Center in 2018.
The other semifinalists were: Terry & Maritza Bean, Craig Campbell, Jane DeDecker, and Mark Leichliter.
Previous Public Monument Competition winners have been:
- 2011 – Chapel for The Center installed in Riverfront Park
- 2012 – Bryan Massey for Nautilus installed in Riverfront Park
- 2013 – Ted Schaal for Open Window installed in Riverfront Park
- 2014 – Lorri Acott for Peace installed at 2nd Street and Main Street
- 2015 – Michael Warrick for Mockingbird Tree installed at Chenal Parkway and Chenal Valley Drive
- 2016 – Clay Enoch for United which will be installed at Central High School in September 2017.
More information is available on the web at http://sculptureattherivermarket.com/.